How does Sponsor a Grandparent work?
Sponsor a Grandparent supports Age International’s work with older people in developing countries. Donations help us to fund projects focusing on:
Improving livelihoods, for example:
- giving older people low-interest loans so they can set up small businesses to help themselves and their families
- giving out cash so older people can spend money on what they need
Improving health and wellbeing, for example:
- carrying out free cataract operations
- getting older people to health clinics
- feeding older people in day centres
- setting up Older People’s Associations so older people can meet other older people and feel less isolated
From 30 September 2017, in addition to helping the grandparent sponsored, their community, and older people in the country where they live, donations will also help older people in other countries where the need is greatest.
What changes are being made to the scheme?
Up until now, donations have helped the grandparent sponsored, their community and other older people in their country.
From 30 September 2017, donations will continue to help the grandparent that has been sponsored, their community and other older people in their country; but donations will also go to help older people in other countries where the need is greatest.
In practice, this means donations will now also help grandparents in other countries where we work and give even more people the possibility to earn an income, improve their health, and fight for their rights.
Why are these changes happening?
This change is needed to ensure we have greater flexibility in the way we use and allocate the funds we receive, so we can put them to the best possible use in helping those older people who need our help the most.
Please rest assured that grandparent who have been sponsored will continue to be supported. Donations will also support other grandparents in other countries.
How will donations be spent?
Donations will be used to:
- help the grandparents that have been sponsored
- help their community
- help other older people in their country
- and help other older people in need in other countries
Our supporter engagement team will be happy to help you. Please do not hesitate to call us on 0800 032 0699, or drop us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Help spread the word about our work to help older people living in poverty.