Donation examples above are representative of what older people could buy with the cash assistance they will receive.
Afghanistan is on the brink of a humanitarian disaster
Older people in Afghanistan have already lived through 40 years of conflict and economic crisis, with the situation worsening yet again since the events in the summer of 2021. The country is suffering its worst drought in almost 30 years and, as hunger and malnutrition reach record levels, more than 8 million people are on the brink of famine.
We only have a short window of time to deliver life-saving aid to older people in Afghanistan before the harsh winter sets in. In the coming months, millions of people will go hungry in the freezing winter and, without urgent assistance, many people will die.
Why support older people?
- Malnutrition makes older people especially vulnerable to winter
- A 'one-size fits all' approach to aid does not work for older people, they will have specific nutritional and health needs
- Many will be in need of medicine to manage existing health conditions
- Older people are more vulnerable to infectious respiratory diseases including COVID-19
- Many may have been left behind by families who have fled Afghanistan
How we are helping
Our partner on the ground in Afghanistan has over 30 years of experience in the country and is well placed to respond to this crisis. Together, we are assessing the most urgent needs of older people and their families on an ongoing basis. We have developed an emergency relief programme that will get aid quickly to the older people who need it most.
The programme will help older people and their families to buy lifesaving necessities such as:
- Food to feed themselves and their families
- Clean water and hygiene products to help keep healthy
- Essential medicines and healthcare
- Better shelter to protect from the worst of the cold
Get in touch
If you have any questions or would prefer to donate by telephone, please do not hesitate to call our friendly helpline on 0800 032 0699.
Read more frequently asked questions.
Age International is raising money together with the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) for the Afghanistan Crisis Appeal. The DEC is a consortium of 15 aid member charities working together in times of disasters and emergencies. For more information on the DEC and our fellow member agencies please visit the DEC website. Any income not spent after twelve months past the end of the appeal may be allocated to another emergency situation that requires our support.