Donation examples are representative of the assistance that older people could receive.
Older people are disproportionately affected
Due to conflict in Ukraine, millions of people have been forced to flee their homes in search of safety. Older people and their families who have been able to reach neighbouring countries are in need of specialist support. For those left behind, the situation is particularly dangerous.
"The shelling is what worries me the most. What if they hit the house, and blast the windows, roof, doors out? Who will help me?" – Ekaterina, 70
The impact on older people
Research carried out by our colleagues in Ukraine highlights the urgent needs of older people as the conflict continues to escalate:
- 91% of older people report that they do not have enough food to eat
- 79% of older people report that they do not have access to sufficient clean drinking water
- 34% of older people require urgent medication for their chronic illnesses
- 75% of older people report that they need hygiene items such as toothpaste, soap, and toilet paper
How your donation could help
As the crisis unfolds, we are continuing to assess the most urgent needs of older people. We are rapidly expanding our emergency relief programme so that we can quickly get aid to those who need it most in Ukraine, and to those who have been able to flee to neighbouring countries.
The programme is helping older people and their families with life-saving essentials such as:
- Specially tailored food packages to help feed themselves and their families
- Hygiene kits to help keep clean and stay safe from diseases
- Multi-purpose cash payments so that they can buy the essentials that they need
- Mental health support and counselling
Why Age International?
We are uniquely placed to deliver an emergency response to this crisis. Over recent years, Age International has been working in Ukraine to support older people affected by the conflict in 2014 with life-saving essentials such as food medicines and mental health support.
Age International has been working with refugees since 1961 raising money for emergency aid overseas. You can help older people today by donating to Age International.
Get in touch
If you have any questions or would prefer to donate by telephone, please do not hesitate to call our friendly helpline on 0800 032 0699.
Age International is raising money together with the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) for the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal. The DEC is a consortium of 15 aid member charities working together in times of disasters and emergencies. For more information on the DEC and our fellow member agencies please visit www.dec.org.uk. Any income not spent after 12 months past the end of the appeal may be allocated to another emergency situation that requires our support.